Monday, January 9, 2017

A Day In the Life

Good Evening!

Well, we've had the kiddos out of the hospital for a few days now and our schedule is starting to take shape.  Before I delivered, I wondered how this would all come together and slowly but surely, we are figuring it out.

As of now, it takes at least three--if not four--adults to care for these little ones.  They feed every 3 hours--8:00 am, 11:00 am, 2:00 pm, 5:00 pm, 8:00 pm, 11:00 pm, 2:00 am, 5:00 am and 8:00 am.  Then, we start over.  That's 40 bottles a day, friends.  Four zero. Typically, four adults do the 11:00 pm feed and then I take the next shift off, sleeping from 12:15-3:45 am.  Then, I'll get up and pump, make coffee, and warm bottles in preparation for the 5:00 am feed.  No, I'm not putting the coffee in the bottles--I'm not that delusional (yet).  Typically, Michael takes the 8:00 am shift off and sleeps from 6:00 am to 9:30 am.  My only fear is that this won't be sustainable once Michael returns to his typical work schedule.  Still, I'll worry about that another day.  This is about survival, right?

L to R:  Millie, Ava, Clara, Luke and Isabelle

We finished our first trip(s) to the pediatrician in Arizona this week.  At one point, we took four kiddos to the doc.  You can imagine the stares we got.  I wish I had taken more photos.  I'm working diligently to organize all of the kids' paperwork and schedule all of their appointments.  Who knew being a mom required such administrative prowess?  I guess all of you moms out there already knew that.   Joke's on me.  

Right now in the temporary Arizona house, we have two babies in each bedroom with the adults.  Luke and Ava room with Michael's mom.   Isabelle and Clara are the room next door and Millie is in my room.  Here's a cute photo of Millie holding onto Isabelle's arm last night.

Millie is on the right and Isabelle on the left.

Bringing our last baby (Millie) home this week was bittersweet.  We are thrilled to have our little ones out of the hospital, but we are sad to leave the staff of the Neonatal ICU at St. Joseph's Hospital.  These doctors, nurses and administrators became our family.  We spent Christmas with them, reading A Christmas Carol to our children.  We spent New Years with them, talking about our hopes and plans for 2017.  We know them by name; we know about their children and loved ones.  We have shared interests and common goals.  Most of all, we love little Ava, Clara, Millie, Luke and Isabelle.  Walking out of the NICU last night brought tears to our eyes.  We miss our NICU family already and we will thank God for them daily.

For now, know that there are indeed angels on Earth and several of them work as nurses in the neonatal units across the country.  

Rest well this week, my friends, knowing that God is good and brings peace and comfort to those in need.  I myself won't be sleeping very much, but know that my soul is at rest, giving thanks for this giant gift God has given us. 

If only we all slept as well as Ava does!
We will head home to Virginia this weekend.  I cannot WAIT.  It's like Christmas come again in January.  More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment