Monday, July 24, 2017

Baptism Blessings

Good Afternoon from QuintLand!

My gracious it's been a whirlwind summer.  I don't think I even have words for how tired yet simultaneously exhilarated I feel.  Exhausterated?  That's exhausted and exhilarated--yep, that's me.

I'd love to tell you more about the baptism of Ava, Clara, Millie, Luke, and Isabelle.  Michael and I always knew we would want it to be a small, private service in the church near our home.  We aren't much for a spectacle and we realized that baptizing five kiddos in one church service would make for quite a long service for any churchgoer.

Michael's friend and college roommate for many years (Nick) decided to begin the process to study to become a priest in 2012.  Nick has been a force of good in our lives.  His kindness, generosity and general love of life have brought such joy to Michael and me.  We have memories of bonfires at Nick's house....memories of playing with Nick's golden retriever George outside under the shade of his front yard oak tree.  I even have a memory of going to dinner with Nick and Michael on the Downtown Mall in Charlottesville.  We could barely walk down the mall without some of Nick's friends (or students) stopping to say hello and offer a hug.  Nick taught Spanish before he became a priest and parents/students alike are attracted to his kindness and genuine care of others.  When it came time to baptize the quints, we could think of no other man to welcome our children into the love of Jesus.

Having studied for several years now,  Nick recently became a deacon in the Catholic church and gladly accepted our invitation to baptize the children.  We realized then that this baptism was going to be one of the most special days of our lives.
Michael and Nick on our wedding day in 2011


Nick is even an excellent dancer!

So now that we had a very special man to baptize our kiddos, I started to think about what they would wear.  You must remember that I'm from Alabama, so christening gowns are truly an art form (and an investment!).  I'm pretty sure you can claim a southern christening gown on your taxes as an asset.  It's that important!

Well, looking at my need for five christening ensembles and our meager family budget, I started to worry.  I wondered about borrowing from friends.  I wondered about renting (is there even a market for that?  Rent the Runway baptism style?).  I wondered about defying tradition and wearing something more casual (my mother would NEVER stand for this).  I wondered about buying one outfit and baptizing them one weekend at a time (so five baptism weekends?  No dice.  My catering budget would be through the roof!)  As I chatted with mom about this, she understood my worries.  We wanted the children to look like the angels they are, but we simply didn't know how we would afford custom outfits for all of them.

Well, God sent us an angel.  A very, very talented angel--a company by the name of Linens by Loraine in my hometown of Selma, Alabama.  Linens by Loraine has done beautiful custom work for my sister's children and one day as Mom was chatting with the creative genius behind the company, something beautiful happened.  Linens by Loraine offered to partner with our family to create baptism ensembles.

Without ever seeing the children in person, Linens by Loraine created five custom ensembles.  All in the course of five weeks.  I measured each of the children and sent metrics to who I called the Angels in Alabama.  The Angels took these measurements and created five masterpieces.  These masterpieces are French hand sewn, complete with French lace.  All of the handwork was done by Sarah Catherine.  If you are ever in the market for beautiful custom work for your children, please check out Linens by Loraine.  They can be reached at 334-872-4467.  They can obviously work with clients from any location!

Thanks to Linens by Loraine,  each child looked absolutely perfect.  We hosted Michael's and my family for a reception afterwards.  It was truly a joyous gathering as we welcomed our children into the Christian faith.

When I was a child, my home church had a very special Easter service.  They would build a cross out of wood and cover it with chicken wire (yes, I'm southern.  I know).  Then, all of the children of the church would bring flowers from their mother's yards and put them into the wire of the cross.  The cross transformed from a cold, wooden monument into a blooming reminder of God's love and redeeming sacrifice for us. I wanted to recreate this for the quints'  baptism.  A good friend built the cross and mom and I covered it with flowers.





I'm thrilled to show you more photos of the children and their beautiful, angel-made outfits:

Clara

My friend Carla with Millie

My friend Claire with Clara

My soon to be sister-in-law Thea with Luke

Deacon Nick with Isabelle

KK and Ava

Ava loves getting dressed up

Millie waits patiently

Millie loving the attention


Michael and Luke

Our blessed insta-family of seven

The Boltons

The Baudinets

Baudinets

Extended family of Baudinets

Isabelle





Millie with her godmother, Aunt Bridget


Yes, we have five sets of godparents!


What a beautifully made bonnet!

Isabelle

Luke

Ava

Luke--love his little boy's hat!

Clara


Millie

Clara

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful pictures. De quints are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such a beautiful post, you all seems to have really good time out there and have perfect family event. Thank you for sharing your moments with us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although im not much familiar with christian rituals and ceremonies but this article had my attention. Its so great to see that there still exist proper family systems in foreign setups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from the United States. And i have a good news to share to the entire world. Do you need your ex husband or lover urgently? I want to tell you that you need not to worry because i have a good news for those out there that are faced or similar to such situation because there is always a hope and a solution to all problem. There is a great spell caster called Dr IyaryI who can really solve all your problems. Getting my lover back is what i can't imagine but when I was losing my husband Cohen. I needed help and somewhere to turn badly but my Cousin told me about this spell caster who also helped her on the internet. I thought it won't work but i just tried to give this man a chance and i ordered a LOVE SPELL. Two days later, my phone rang. Cohen was his old self again and wanted to come back to me! Not only come back, This is truly miraculous and the spell caster opened him up to know how much I love and needs him. This Spell Casting isn’t brainwashing, but he opened up his eyes to know how much love we have to share together. I recommend anyone who is in my old situation to try him because he will help you and make things be the way it ought to be. If you have such problem or similar to this, please contact him on his email: driayaryi2012@hotmail.com. or And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +2349057915709 Thank you Dr IyaryI. May your gods ever reward you for your good deeds.. contact him today driayaryi2012@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. pinjaman! pinjaman!! pinjaman!!!
    Apakah Anda mencari perusahaan pinjaman swasta terkemuka dan terakreditasi yang memberikan pinjaman untuk kesempatan seumur hidup. Kami menawarkan semua jenis pinjaman dengan cara yang sangat cepat dan mudah, pinjaman pribadi, pinjaman mobil, pinjaman hipotek, pinjaman mahasiswa, pinjaman usaha, pinjaman investasi, konsolidasi hutang dan banyak lagi. Sudahkah anda ditolak oleh bank dan lembaga keuangan lainnya? Apakah Anda memerlukan pinjaman konsolidasi atau hipotek? Jangan terlihat seperti kita di sini untuk membuat semua masalah keuangan Anda menjadi sesuatu dari masa lalu. Kami meminjamkan dana kepada perorangan dan perusahaan yang membutuhkan bantuan keuangan dengan tarif 2%. Tidak ada nomor jaminan sosial yang dibutuhkan dan tidak diperlukan pemeriksaan kredit, 100% dijamin. Saya ingin menggunakan media ini untuk memberi tahu Anda bahwa kami memberikan bantuan yang andal dan suportif dan kami akan dengan senang hati menawarkan pinjaman kepada Anda.
    Kemudian kirimkan email ke: (victoriaemmanuelloan@gmail.com) untuk mengajukan pinjaman

    ReplyDelete