Monday, February 19, 2018

A Farewell--Lebewohl

This is a week I've been dreading.  This week, we say farewell to our German au pair, Merle.  Merle is returning to Germany for a few weeks before pursuing the au pair program in China.

I knew when the au pairs arrived last February that there would come a day when we would have to say goodbye.  I've known that all along, but I cannot even put my level of connection and attachment to Merle into words.

Merle is our comic.  Her wit cuts through some of the most stressful situations.  Her laugh brightens the darkest of room and her love of family warms my heart.

Her laundry folding skills are TOP notch--you should see the stuff she does!  She loves Harry Potter just as much as I do, even though she's a Slytherin...yeesh.

I can't imagine not spending Monday nights with Merle, watching the Bachelor or Dancing with the Stars.  I can't imagine each Cheesecake Factory cheesecake without her.  I can't imagine taking the kids to stroll at UVA and not having Merle walking alongside me. 

Merle has played such a critical role in this first year with our quints.  She's taught them how to feed themselves.  How to sleep more soundly (sometimes!) in the night.  How to open a book and turn pages.  How to roll a ball back and forth.  How to make silly faces (especially for selfies) and how to walk.  She's left an indelible impression on Michael, Ava, Clara, Millie, Luke, Isabelle, and especially me.

We wish Merle all the love and light this world can offer.  And we expect her to come visit soon and often.

We love you Merle!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment